www.TheGrowGoddess.com

Friday, January 11, 2013

Starting seeds in Rockwool

  
Step 1: Pick your seeds

I am filling an AeroFlo 60 with Red Choi, Green Oakleaf lettuce, Cherokee lettuce, Tat Soi, and Red Choi. 


Step 2. Choose your starter cubes

I am using Grodan's A-OK 1.5" Starter plugs 

Step 3. Adjust PH/fertilize

Some growers don't add any nutrients to their seedling. I personally like to give them a diluted mixture of 100-200 PPM.

For Rockwool I will set  my PH at a 5.5

Step 4. Soak

I like to put the whole sheet into a tray with holes sitting inside one without any. That way I can pour my premixed, pre adjusted water right on top and lift it out to drain. I will let these soak for about 15 minutes. 

Step 5. Drain 

Do not squeeze the water out of the rockwool. 

I will then transfer these cubes into a Grodan Gro-Smart tray. These are awesome and keep your plant from sitting in any stale water that can lead to multiple issues and increases the airflow around the plants. 

                                              
Step 6. Insert our seeds in your plugs

I usually find something like this eye glass size flat head screw driver as a seed setter. The seeds stick well to the flat surface and make it easy for me to get them into their new home.



Once your seeds are all planted and marked you can pinch the holes closed to keep the light out of the plugs while the seeds are germinating. 


I will cover my tray with another nursery flat to keep in humidity and put it in a nice warm spot, preferably on a heat mat. 


Once these little guys sprout I will get them under the light immediately to avoid any streching


 


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© BLOG | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig